Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cabin-fever-induced insanity?

I'm not sure what my grumpiness is the result of. It could be the fact that I'm pretty much confined to my house since I no longer work; it could be that the sun has not shown itself in the last week and I am lacking in Vitamin D; it could be that I'm just sick and tired of spending every waking hour with my loving, but oh-so-obnoxious, dogs. I'm not really sure...but it seriously feels like I'm going off the deep end this week.

Husband is working 16-hour shifts until the power company says otherwise. That means, he has to be at work by 6 am and doesn't get off work until 10 pm. Our conversations this week have mainly consisted of "I missed you! Let's go to bed, I'm tired." or whatever we happened to text about twice throughout the course of the day.

I have housework to do. I have an order to complete (which I am well on my way to completing, thankfully). I have a room to clean out so that I can shampoo the carpets in preparation for our Tater Tot's arrival. So what do I wind up doing with most of my days? I knit.

It's awful. Productive, yes, but awful nonetheless. As much as I like my quiet and my solitude, I am not a solitary, keep-to-myself type of person. Social interaction is necessary, even if it's just sitting around with someone else watching movies or reruns on the TV. The presence of another individual works wonders on my well-being.

You may find it sad that the highlight of my week (aside from seeing my husband for 20 minutes a night before we turn in) will occur in approximately 2 hours, when I go to the supermarket cafe to knit with a few other ladies...but this is what happens when you're me. Knitting group means that I can escape my house for a few hours and not have to clean up the clumps of dirt and leaves tracked in by my dogs. It means that I don't have to vacuum again today. It means that I can talk to actual people, face to face, and they will respond with more than a groan and a slobber-filled shake of the head.

It means that I can feel like I'm not an outcast or a recluse.

I may go in early, just for the heck of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment