Monday, November 19, 2012

'Tis the Season

It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just a few days away, isn't it? I always wind up getting in the "holiday spirit" sometime after the turkey coma wears off and I've recovered from the pumpkin pie overdose. This year, however, I seem to be getting into it earlier than usual.

When I was a teenager and in my early twenties, my mom would, without fail, call me a Scrooge. I was not fond of Christmas music--only the hymns sung in church. I was not fond of Christmas movies--they were all so predictable and essentially the same as every other Christmas movie. I also wasn't really into decorating for Christmas. Now that I have my own house, a husband, and a baby on the way...things are changing.

I hang a wreath on my front door, and sometimes, if I feel really wild and crazy, I'll even hang garlands on my porch rails. I hang Christmas lights on the porch, too (and only there, because it's the only part of the roofline that doesn't require a ladder). This year, I've been watching Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel almost every weekend (they started early this year!). The time is drawing near for me to haul the Christmas tree up the basement steps, dust it off, and begin transforming our house into a cozy habitat for the winter months.

This year is different for me, I guess because I'm in the nesting stages. Tater Tot will be here before we know it--and probably (hopefully) a couple weeks sooner than expected. We have two dogs this year, not just one. My parents are finally within a reasonable driving distance and will stay within a reasonable driving distance. We're smack in the center of his family and mine, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

What I'm most excited about, though, are the gifts that I have planned all year and worked on so hard for our families this year. As I type this, I'm waiting for a few knitting patterns to print so that I can begin work on his sister's and her husband's gift while we watch TV this evening.

My to-do list for gift-giving includes:

  • Katie's hat (birthday in early December)
  • Maddie's bunny (Christmas)
  • Tara & Sean's ornaments (Christmas)
  • Washcloths (Wendy ordered some to give as a gift)
  • Wade's (husband) quilt...which he will receive to unwrap, finished or not...
  • Oatmeal Raisin cookies for John (Christmas)
  • Purse for Kenzie (Christmas)
  • Strawberry jam (several jars for several family members
  • Snickerdoodles (Christmas gift for Uncle Mike)
'Tis the season, indeed. I need to get this stuff done so I have some time to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment