Friday, November 23, 2012

Shopping Season has begun.

I traditionally spend Black Friday at home. Usually, I spend the day cleaning my downstairs in preparation for decorating for Christmas--the tree, ornaments, wall decorations, and even the front porch. Today, however, was different.

I woke with a plan in my head: dishes, shower, make dresses to fill the order I've been working on entirely too long, and then, time permitting, do some cleaning and start the decorating.

HA!

That was a funny joke!!

I spent the better part of my day with my mom, traveling to Shepherdstown, Sharpsburg, and Williamsport. I am tired. But I did my part to support small businesses today, as I do not plan to leave the house tomorrow.

Shopping is not my favorite activity...not by a long shot. I don't really like anything about it, especially between Black Friday and New Years. Rarely, very rarely, I'll get a wild hair and want to go snatch up a particularly good deal (like last year, I stood outside of Target from about midnight to 4 am just to get a set of flannel sheets and a pre-lit tree--and I was in and out inside of 10 minutes. I don't mess around!), but generally, I like to avoid the crowds. I think it's ridiculous that people find it acceptable behavior to elbow and shove others out of the way for CrockPot they probably don't even need, or for the latest, greatest iPod that their kids are going to smash to bits less than 3 hours after taking it out of the box on Christmas. 

The best thing about doing the small business shopping on Black Friday is this--the folks that ring you up at the register are usually the owners of the establishments. They are genuinely happy to have your business, and will usually strike up a conversation with you simply because they can. You don't run across the minimum-wage, seasonal workers that don't give a crap that you're there scoring "crazy good deals" while they would rather be at home, sleeping. Target and WalMart aren't going to say, "Hey, thanks for shopping here today. I really appreciate your business and hope you come back soon!" Most of the checkers at those stores would just as soon flip you the bird than say hello...

I cannot wait until the shopping season is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment