Wednesday, February 19, 2014

High-Fiber Diet

It has occurred to me, on several separate occasions recently, that I have a problem. I am most definitely addicted to knitting and all things fiber (not dietary fiber--that's a different story, not for this blog).
The way I used to be with fabric pales in comparison with how I behave around yarn, and even sheep, for that matter. Why sheep? Because, sheep are the starting point for what I love--wool yarn! I do not dye yarn, I am an amateur spinner, and I do not raise sheep or alpacas for their fleeces. I am a consumer. Other people do the things listed above, and I see their beautiful creations and I think to myself of all the possibilities contained in that sheep/alpaca/ball of roving/skein of yarn. And then, it happens.

I have to have it.

Sometimes (okay, most times), I don't even have a project in mind for what I'm suddenly in dire need of. Sometimes, I buy based on color alone. Or even fiber content. Or even just because of the name of the company.

Every time I go somewhere on a trip (generally longer than 3 days), I look online and find local yarn shops. I have yarn that I have purchased in person from shops in Marquette, Michigan; Frankenmuth, Michigan; Valparaiso, Indiana; Charleston, South Carolina; Savannah, Georgia; Binghamton, New York; Cumberland, Maryland; Easton, Maryland; and also yarn purchased locally from Shepherdstown, West Virginia; Brunswick, Maryland; Frederick, Maryland; Chambersburg, Pennsylvania; and Waynesboro, Pennsylvania. And online? Well... I've purchased yarn from Alaska, Wyoming, Oklahoma, and probably various other states.

And we're not just talking about a skein here and there, or even just one from each shop. No, we're talking about multiple skeins. For things like scarves and sweaters.

I think it's time to thin the stash a little more. My family and I will be moving soon, and the less we have to move, the better. Also, the less debt we have when we move, the better.

Time to quit my high-fiber diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment